Sunday 15 July 2007

Sunday Evening Blog

Well it's Sunday night and it's cold. I didn't do all that much on the weekend - last night I went out to the airport again and picked up some more friends who this time were coming in from Perth. I dropped them off where they were staying and got home around 1.00 this morning.

This morning I went to church - something I actually enjoy - wouldn't have imagined that 3 years ago. My life has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years. Now, I'm going to finish this and then go and ring my fiancee in China.

I'll tell you a story. I don't know where it came from except it's African and I heard it somewhere and really liked it. Because I like stories.

In the beginning God made the Earth from the rocks, there were no creatures on Earth other than tortises and humans. There was also no death nor births - the people and the tortises lived forever.

One day the tortises got fed up with being bored and seeing the same tortises day in day out and some approached God and asked Him if they could have children. God told them that if there was to be birth, then there must also be death. The tortises didn't know what death was, but being bored, they told God that it would be OK.

The next morning, the female tortises gave birth to young, which was greeted by much excitement.

The humans heard all the celebrating coming from the tortises and thought that they would like to have children too. So some of them went to see God and asked Him if they too could have young. Yes, God said, but like the tortises, if you have birth then you must also have death. Well, the humans didn't know what death was either. However, they didn't want to miss out so they agreed.

That evening, the humans heard a great wail of anguish coming from the tortises as some of their number died. They began to have second thoughts about agreeing to have birth and death.

However, they had committed themselves to God and so we have birth and death.

A few days later, God thought it would only be fair to ask the rocks, if they wanted to have birth and death as well. But the rocks had seen what had happened to the tortises and humans and kept silent.

So this is why there is birth and death among the creatures of the Earth, but the rocks live on forever.


Well that's what I remember of it anyway.

OK, so I will finish here and go and ring China. See you.

No comments: