Friday 13 July 2007

The Art of Long Distance Love

Three years ago, I left home and went to work, when I came home my partner of eight years had gone with most of the furniture. It was quite a kick. If you want to hurt someone, let me tell you just leaving without an explanation causes exquisite pain.

Then two and a half years ago a friend showed me a photograph and asked me if I was interested in this woman. I looked and thought she was alright so I said yes. The only problem being she is in China. Well, we started to ring each other up and write letters and then things were going OK so I went to China to see her. She was beautiful.

I came home and the letters and phone calls continued. Then I needed to go and see her again. I took time off work and flew to China and there she was - still beautiful. Half way through the trip I told her I loved her. It was something that I said on the spur of the moment, just a gut response. But seconds later it hit me. I meant it. Later that night when she had left the hotel and gone home, I went for a walk and just walked and walked thinking about everything that had happened to me and led me to this.

That was last year. Now I don't think of her as a separate person. There is just us. Not a day goes by without me thinking of her a hundred odd times. I am trying to get her a visa to come here. Sometimes it's like she is already here. I picture her walking in the street, going grocery shopping with me on Saturday mornings. I imagine all the places I want to take her to, when she finally gets here. I just love her and want her here.

No comments: