Monday 9 September 2013

A new government... a new beginning.

I use some of a Ralph Waldo Emerson quotation as a subheading for this blog. Have you noticed? The complete quotation goes like this. "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and some absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you should begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." Well we have a new government! Should I put a capital G or keep it small? I'll keep it small because it suits the party and it's how I am going to look at this. A kind of don't sweat the small things approach. Conservative governments tend to maximise my potential for overthinking and ruminating on things, so this time around I am going to bring a halt to this behaviour. I only spent a little bit of time watching television coverage of the election. I spent the weekend gardening and watching Harry Potter movies. There is a few themes that come out of Harry Potter: friendship, growing up, overcoming, self-growth, courage etc. I am going to use a Harry Potter analogy as I face the emotions that are going to come with this change in government. I'll picture Tony Abbott as Voldermort and know that although he rose up and became powerful, he did fall. Time passed for him and time will pass for Tony Abbott and this government. Also, another thing I was thinking on was Simon Sharma's History of Britain episode about the black death, how there was a century of pain with plague and war. But we got through it, we survived. That was a lot worse than the election of a small minded government, and we survived! A few years ago, somebody told me a story about a famous Chinese female doctor. A gynaecologist, as I remember. She was famous for forgetting things, particularly people's names. Apparently she would be introduced to people and very quickly forget the name and then have to go to another person and ask do you know that person's name? All people, that is, except for her patients. She could remember everything there was to know about them. So, I am going to take this on board and only worry about the things that are important to me. The government can go about doing what it wants. Within reason, if it doesn't have an impact on me, then I am not going to worry about, nor dwell on it. Is this whole post an over statment? Probably. it will be worth a laugh later on.

No comments: