Wednesday 25 September 2013

Creation, (Happiness 101)

I am a sucker for a good creation story.

Here's one from Nigeria. I learned this a few years ago, but from where I have forgotten. Possibly I heard it on the radio.

In the beginning the Gods created the tortoise, then humans and then the rocks. All were immortal. They lived like this for thousands of years, but one day the tortoises became bored with life, so they went to the Gods and asked permission to have something change. The Gods, decided to let the tortoises’ breed. When they informed the tortoises of their decision, the tortoises were very happy, now, the tortoises could watch their children run around and play and be happy. However, the Gods decided that if there was to be new life, there must also be death. The tortoises didn't understand what death was, but they agreed and thanked the Gods for their decision.

The next morning, when the humans woke they saw all the young tortoises playing around and thought we too would like this pleasure. So they went to the Gods and asked if they also could have children. Yes, said the Gods but you also must have death. Humans didn't know what death was either but like the tortoises they agreed.

That afternoon, the humans heard a great wailing coming from the direction of the tortoises. Such a noise of anguish had never been heard before. Some tortoises had died. The humans watching this new phenomenon of death and the grieving, began to have second thoughts about talking to the Gods, but felt powerless to do anything. So the next morning there was birth, but there was also death among the humans.

Meanwhile the rocks had been quiet. The Gods decided that it was only fair that they ask the rocks if they wanted anything. The rocks seeing death among the tortoises and humans chose to remain silent. So, today there is death among humans and animals but the rocks live forever.

I have finished with the Wonderbox and have been reading David Malouf’s The Happy Life. I have found it to be a very interesting and thought provoking book that looks into what makes a happy life. Although, as the responses to it, included in the book highlight, it is somewhat problematic and a little, but not completely unsatisfactory at conclusion. There were a few gems that I found and they have now sent me off, wanting to read more on the subject

.

One of the ideas that I felt interesting was the way Malouf highlights how the notion of happiness has changed down the ages. At the time that Jefferson sat down to write the American Constitution and included the line about the “pursuit of happiness” his idea of happiness, was more a state of being with God and doing good, not, what we think happiness is today. Akin to this is his contemporary, William Penn writing in his Fruits of a Father’s Love, that happiness is the holy fear of God. (For fear, read awe) So happiness at this time was religious in nature and not the feelings that we associate happiness with today.

Another gem for me was the story concerning Plato’s Protagoras of how Epimetheus distributed to each creature that was to inhabit the Earth their own special qualities and characteristics each would need to survive. For example, some animals were given the ability to run fast, others were given the ability to live underground away from animals that would hunt them as prey. Some animals were given fur so that they could survive the elements; others were given fins and the ability to swim etc. You get the picture. Anyway, Epimetheus finished distributing all the qualities and characteristics that he had and only then did he notice that there was one creature he had forgotten and this creature, was you guessed it, human

.

Not knowing what to do, Epimetheus turns to Prometheus who decides that humans will just have to live on their own resources. Thus we have to make do on our own and get for ourselves the gifts and talents that were denied us. But what this does is give us the power to think and ruminate over things, to see how the other half live and want what they have, to dream and to covet and be unhappy with our lot when we see others enjoying a life that we can't lead.

Do you get the message? The search for happiness has been with us from the beginning. But also, notions of happiness change. This is important to understand in our own search for happiness. These are the messages that I took from Malouf's book. Go to a library and borrow it. It is a short book, you can read it for yourselves in a couple of hours.

Now for some song lyrics. See if you can remember, sing along even.

What about this, from the Ray Conniff singers?

Happiness is (Happiness is) Happiness is (Happiness is) Happiness is (Happiness is) Different things to different people That's what happiness is.

Or, do you remember The Who's Tommy? Shortly after smashing the mirror and coming out of his withdrawal, Tommy aka Roger Daltrey, breaks into "I'm free". The lyric has been with me ever since I first heard it. I don't even need to google it.

If I told you what it takes to reach the highest high, You'd laugh and say nothing's that simple! But you've been shown many times before Messiahs pointed to the door, But no one had the guts to leave the temple

. And finally, of course there is this one. Is there a more timeless song!

When I'm watching my TV and a man comes on and tells me How white my shirts can be But, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke The same cigarettes as me

I can't get no. Oh, no, no, no. Hey, hey, hey That's what I say I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no satisfaction 'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try I can't get no, I can't get no...no satisfaction

.

For thousands of years we believed that the Gods fated us with happiness. Or, if we only wait for heaven we will be dwelling in Paradise. Then came the Enlightenment and we thought that happiness could be found in nature or, until at least we either lost our heads, or took heads in the Terror,Liberté, égalité, fraternité. Until now, when happiness is a commodity that we can buy in a bottle, or in a new car. The old religion is on the wane and a more baser religion has arisen. One full of social media, advertising, self help gurus, buy this, buy that, be happy.

In our search, if you will, for happiness, we need to ensure that the happiness that we are looking for is our own and not what someone tries to tell us should make us happy. It need's to be our very own happiness and not someone trying to sell us a new car, or if you only would buy this makeup, or if you were only a little bit more thinner. Or even win the lottery

.

So I'm going to dabble into reading a few books in my search for my own happiness. For you, why not think about what makes you happy?

(Looking back over this, I'm thinking you're all thinking. Wow, who is this guy? Is he serious?)

No comments: